Critical social issues in American education: democracy and meaning in a globalizing world
Includes bibliographical references and indexes. For richer / Paul Krugman -- Funding accountability: states, courts, and public responsibility / Sue Books -- Democracy's high school? social change and American secondary education in the post-conant era / John L. Rury -- Creating new inequalities: contradictions of reform / Linda M. McNeil -- Illusions of progress: business as usual / Christine E. Sleeter and Carl Grant -- Higher education as a public good / Stanley Arnowitz -- Profits without people / Clinton E. Boutwell -- Kids for sale: corporate culture and the challenge of public schooling / Henry A. Giroux -- The littleton tragedy / Svi Shapiro -- Commercial culture and the assault on children's character / Alex Molnar -- Goals 2000: the triumph of vulgarity and the legitimation of social injustice / David E. Purpel -- Becoming educated: a journey of alienation or integration? / Jane Roland Martin -- English-only triumphs, but the costs are high / Alejandro Portes -- What about the boys? / Michael Kimmel -- Race and the achievement gap / Harold Berlak -- What Matthew Shepard would tell us: gay and lesbian issues in education / Doug Risner -- A parent's dilemma: public vs. Jewish education / Svi Shapiro -- From local control to government and corporate takeover of school curriculum: the no child left behind act and the reading first program / Harold Berlak -- Public school reform: the mismeasure of education / Svi Shapiro -- Care and moral education / Nel Noddings -- Education and spirituality / Dwayne Huebner -- The spiritual transformation of education / Michael Lerner -- Social justice, curriculum, and spirituality / David E. Purpel -- Threats and temps / Naomi Klein -- Education and the dilemmas of modernism: towards an ecozoic vision / Edmund O'Sullivan -- Identity in the globalizing world / Zygmunt Bauman -- The transformation of political community: rethinking democracy in the context of globalization / David Held -- Lessons of September 11: what should schools teach? / Svi Shapiro. Electronic reproduction.Boulder, Colo.:NetLibrary,2004.Available via World Wide Web.Access may be limited to NetLibrary affiliated libraries.
- LCC: LC196.5
- Dewey Decimal: 370.11/5
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: xvi, 504 p. ; 23 cm.
- Critical pedagogy -- United States
- Education -- Social aspects -- United States
- Education -- Political aspects -- United States
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books