"In addition to explaining the science of stem cells this highly readable and carefully researched book reports on the gargantuan "Big Biotech" industry and its supporters in the universities and in the science and bioethics establishments. Smith reveals how this lobby works and how the ideology of "scientism," mixed with the lure of riches, threatens to impose on society a "new eugenics" that would dismantle ethical norms and compromise the uniqueness and importance of all human life."--BOOK JACKET.
Includes bibliographical references and index. Ch. 1. Biotech new world -- Ch. 2. The great stem cell debate of 2001 -- Ch. 3. Reproduction as replication -- Ch. 4. The foot in the door to brave new world -- Ch. 5. Political science -- Ch. 6. Will humans remain human? -- Ch. 7. Food for thought.
- LCC: TP248.23
- Dewey Decimal: 306.4/61
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: xv, 219 p. ; 24 cm.
- Edition Info: (alk. paper)
- Amazon.com -- Nonfiction -- Philosophy -- Ethics & Morality
- Amazon.com -- Science -- Biological Sciences -- Biotechnology
- Amazon.com -- Science -- History & Philosophy -- General
- Amazon.com -- Medicine -- Physician & Patient -- Medical Ethics
- Amazon.com -- Engineering -- Bioengineering -- Biotechnology
- Biotechnology -- Social aspects
- Genetic engineering -- Social aspects
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books