Comparative Policing: The Struggle for Democratization
"A wonderful resource, user friendly and very well written." - Timothy J. Horohol, John Jay CollegeA unique approach to studying police forces around the globe How do police forces around the world move toward democratization of their operations and responses? Analyzing police forces from 12 different countries, Comparative Policing: The Struggle for Democratization assesses the stages of each country based on the authors development of a Continuum of Democracy scale. Key Features Using five basic themes, this book uses the following criteria to rank and evaluate where each country falls on the continuum, clarifying how policing practices differ: · History of a democratic form of government · Level of corruption within governmental organizations and the oversight mechanisms in place · Scope of and response to civil disobedience · Organization structures of police departments · Operational responses to terrorism and organized crime Intended Audience: This unique analysis of policing is an ideal text for undergraduate and graduate courses in Comparative Criminal Justice, Police Studies, Policing and Society, and Terrorism in departments of criminal justice, criminology, sociology, and government.
- Dewey Decimal: 363.2
- Physical Description: 6.9"x9.9"x0.8"; 1.6 lb; 432 pages
- Edition Info: Paperback; 2007-12-17
- Law -- Criminal Law -- Law Enforcement
- Law -- Perspectives on Law -- Non-US Legal Systems
- Law -- General
- Nonfiction -- Crime & Criminals -- Criminology
- Nonfiction -- Current Events -- Poverty -- Social Services & Welfare
- Nonfiction -- Social Sciences -- Sociology -- General
- Professional & Technical -- Law -- Criminal Law -- Law Enforcement
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books