Colonial botany: science, commerce, and politics in the early modern world
Originally published: 2004. Includes bibliographical references (p. -330) and index. Dominion, demonstration, and domination: religious doctrine, territorial politics, and French plant collection / Chandra Mukerji -- Walnuts at Hudson Bay, coral reefs in Gotland: the colonialism of Linnaean botany / Staffan Müller-Wille -- Mission gardens: natural history and global expansion, 1720-1820 / Michael T. Bravo -- Gathering for the republic: botany in early republic America / Andrew J. Lewis -- Books, bodies, and fields: sixteenth-century transatlantic encounters with New World materia medica / Daniela Bleichmar -- Global economies and local knowledge in the East Indies: Jacobus Bontius learns the facts of nature / Harold J. Cook -- Prospecting for drugs: European naturalists in the West Indies / Londa Schiebinger -- Linnaean botany and Spanish imperial biopolitics / Antonio Lafuente and Nuria Valverde -- How derivative was Humboldt? microcosmic nature narratives in early modern Spanish America and the (other) origins of Humboldt's ecological sensibilities / Jorge Cañizares-Esguerra -- The conquest of spice and the Dutch colonial imagery: seen and unseen in the visual culture of trade / Julie Berger Hochstrasser -- Of nutmegs and botanists: the colonial cultivation of botanical identity / E. C. Spary -- Out of Africa: colonial rice history in the black Atlantic / Judith Carney -- Collecting naturalia in the shadow of early modern Dutch trade / Claudia Swan -- Accounting for the natural world: double-entry bookkeeping in the field / Anke te Heesen -- Surgeons, fakirs, merchants, and craftspeople: making l'empereur's jardin in early modern south Asia / Kapil Raj -- Measurable difference: botany, climate, and the gardener's thermometer in eighteenth-century France / Marie-Noëlle Bourguet.
- LCC: SB108
- Dewey Decimal: 581.6094
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: vi, 346 p. : ill., maps ; 25 cm.
- Edition Info: (pbk.)
- Arts & Photography -- Schools, Periods & Styles -- Renaissance
- History -- Europe -- England
- History -- World -- Renaissance
- Science -- Biological Sciences -- Botany
- Science -- History & Philosophy -- History of Science
- Professional & Technical -- Professional Science -- Biological Sciences -- Botany
- Botany, Economic -- Europe -- History
- Botany, Economic -- Economic aspects -- Europe -- History
- Botany, Economic -- Political aspects -- Europe -- History
- Plant introduction -- Europe -- History
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books