Civility and empire: literature and culture in British India, 1822-1922
Includes bibliographical references (p. -212) and index. Colonial civility and the regulation of social desire --Writing the liberal self : colonial civility and disciplinary regime --Policing the boundaries : civility and gender in the Anglo-Indian romances, 1880-1900 --Savage pursuit : missionary civility and colonization in E.M. Forster"s "The life to come" --Civility and the colonial body/state in Leonard Woolf.
- LCC: PR129
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: viii, 216 p. ; 25 cm.
- Edition Info: (cloth : alk. paper)
- Imperialism in literature
- Civilization in literature
- English literature -- 19th century -- History and criticism
- India -- In literature
- Anglo-Indian literature -- History and criticism
- Literature and society -- India -- History -- 19th century
- Literature and society -- India -- History -- 20th century
- English literature -- Indic influences
- British -- India -- Intellectual life
- Courtesy in literature
- Colonies in literature
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books