Child abuse and neglect are examined in this new book - the latest research, what it entails, and how to recognize and report it. Federal law mandates the reporting of suspected child maltreatment by many professionals. This book will appeal to those who one day find themselves in the role of a mandated reporter. Engaging learning tools are sprinkled throughout. Focus on Research Boxes provide an in-depth look at research or methodologies. Case Examples encourage debate about the gray areas in the field. Legal Examples and Focus on Law sections explain judicial rulings including guides for locating relevant state statutes. Discussion questions promote dialogue and deepen understanding of the material. Bold faced key terms defined when first introduced also appear in the book's glossary. The book opens with the background on child maltreatment including its history, an overview of the research, and the risk factors. Details about mandated reporting are also explored. Different forms of maltreatment - physical abuse, neglect, psychological maltreatment, sexual abuse, fetal abuse, and Munchausen by Proxy Syndrome - are then examined. Incidence estimates and consequences for each type of maltreatment are provided. Legal issues including forensic interviewing are then reviewed. The book concludes with an example of what happens to a child after a report is filed along with suggestions for preventing child maltreatment. Intended as a text for courses in Child Abuse and Neglect taught in departments of psychology, human development, education, social work, and medicine, this book will also be an invaluable resource to workers who are mandated reporters of child maltreatment and/or anyone interested in the problem.
- Dewey Decimal: 362.76
- Physical Description: 7.0"x10.0"x0.9"; 1.6 lb; 312 pages
- Edition Info: Hardcover; 2009-03-24
- Health, Mind & Body -- Mental Health -- Abuse & Self Defense -- Sexual Abuse
- Health, Mind & Body -- Psychology & Counseling -- Adolescent Psychology
- Health, Mind & Body -- Psychology & Counseling -- Child Psychology -- Development
- Health, Mind & Body -- Psychology & Counseling -- Child Psychology -- Psychology
- Health, Mind & Body -- Psychology & Counseling -- General
- Health, Mind & Body -- Psychology & Counseling -- General AAS
- Law -- Family & Health Law -- Child Advocacy
- Parenting & Families -- Family Relationships -- Child Abuse
- Professional & Technical -- Law -- Family & Health Law -- Child Advocacy
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books