It would be difficult to overestimate the importance of the chemical sciences to the modern world. In the last 150 years, they have transformed our physical environment, our material culture, our manner of living, and even our persons - and they are continuing to do so in profound ways. Yet the detailed and systematic study of the history of the modern chemical sciences has been relatively late in coming. This compilation of essays by leading scholars represents the first fruits of modern historical scholarship. The essays vary in form and content; some represent detailed, original research; others are cast as synoptic blueprints for future research in major domains of scholarship; still others are provocative reflections on the opportunities and challenges facing historians of chemical sciences and industries and their audiences.
"Earlier versions of several of the essays in this volume were presented at a conference ... held May 17-20, 1990"--T.p. verso. Includes bibliographical references (p. -403) and index.
- LCC: QD11
- Dewey Decimal: 540
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: xxii, 417 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Edition Info: (acid-free paper)
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books