Charge!: Great Cavalry Charges of the Napoleonic Wars
Cavalry was the queen of the Napoleonic battlefield. Surging squadrons of dragoons, dashing hussars, or the awesome might of heavy cuirassiers often snatched victory from the jaws of defeat and decided the fate of kingdoms. In this dramatic and spirited history of cavalry in the Napoleonic period, Digby Smith examines how battles could be decided by the skilful use of cavalry. He outlines the development of the mounted arm--describing the various types of mounted unit, their roles, and their abilities--and then sets out to describe how cavalry could turn the tide of battle. By examining such key battles as Marengo, Eylau, Albuera, the crossing of the Beresina, and Waterloo, Charge! reveals how cavalry could be deployed in an offensive and defensive capacity or how an effective and well-timed cavalry charge could overcome almost any obstacle. The scenarios have been carefully selected to reveal how leadership, training, weather, terrain, and the condition of the horses could affect the success of a charge. Replete with eyewitness accounts and tales of outstanding courage and valor, Charge! is a dramatic read as well as a fascinating insight into the role and performance of cavalry on the Napoleonic field of battle.
- Dewey Decimal: 357.109409034
- Physical Description: 6.1"x9.0"x1.0"; 0.8 lb; 304 pages
- Edition Info: Paperback; 2007-02-15
- History -- Europe -- General
- History -- Europe -- General AAS
- History -- Military -- Napoleonic Wars -- General
- History -- Military -- Napoleonic Wars -- General AAS
- History -- Military -- General
- History -- Military -- General AAS
- History -- World -- Renaissance
- History -- World -- General
- History -- World -- General AAS
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books