Birth of the cool: beat, bebop, and the American avant-garde
"Birth of the Cool is an illustrated cultural history of the American avant-garde in the 1940s and 1950s - the decades in which cool was born. From intimate interviews with cool icons like poet Allen Ginsberg, bop saxophonist Jackie McLean, and Living Theatre cofounder Judith Malina, award-winning journalist and poet Lewis MacAdams extracts the essence of cool. Taking us inside the most influential and experimental art movements of the twentieth century - from the Harlem jazz joints where Dizzy Gillespie and Charlie Parker invented bebop to the back room at Max's Kansas City when Andy Warhol was holding court to backstage at the Newport Folk Festival the night Bob Dylan went electric, from Surrealism to the Black Mountain School to Zen - MacAdams traces the evolution of cool from the very fringes of society to the mainstream."--BOOK JACKET.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 270-281) and index. Includes filmography and discography.
- LCC: ML3508
- Dewey Decimal: 700/.973/09045
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: 288 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Bop (Music) -- United States -- History and criticism
- Bop (Music) -- History and criticism
- Avant-garde (Aesthetics) -- United States -- History -- 20th century
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books