Beyond the Golden Gate: oceanography, geology, biology, and environmental issues in the Gulf of the Farallones
The CD-ROM contains the full-length PDF technical version of short printable version for general audience. CD-ROM version in pocket. System requirements for CD-ROM: IBM compatible PC equipped with a CD-ROM drive ; Intel(R) Pentium(R) or equivalent processor, Microsoft(R), Windows 95 OSR 2.0, Windows 98 SE, Windows Millenium edition, Windows NT 4.0 with Service pack 5, Windows 2000, or Windows XP, 64 MB of RAM ; color monitor that can display 256 colors (16.7 million recommended) System requirements for Macintosh and UNIX computers: Power PC(R) processor, Mac OS software version 8.6, 9.0.4, 9.1, or OS X; some features of Acrobat 5.0 may not be available for OS 8.6 and OS X due to OS limitations ; 64 MB of RAM. Almost any UNIX workstation can read these files. Shipping list no.: 2003-0139-P. Includes bibliographical references (p. 72-76). Techniques and technology of exploration in the Gulf of the Farallones /Kaye Kinoshita and John L. Chin --Regional setting /John L. Chin and Russell W. Graymer --Earthquakes, faults, and tectonics /Holly F. Ryan, Stephanie L. Ross, and Russell W. Graymer --Landscape of the sea floor /Herman A. Carl and William C. Schwab --Current patterns over the continental shelf and slope /Marlene A. Noble --Sediment of the sea floor /Herman A. Karl --Chemical composition of surface sediments on the sea floor /Walter E. Dean and James V. Gardner --Heavy-mineral provinces on the continental shelf /Florence L. Wong --Biology and ecological niches in the Gulf of the Farallones --Phytoplankton /Gregg W. Langlois and Patricia Smith --Krill /Dan Howard --Free-floating larvae of crabs, sea urchins, and rockfishes /Stephen R. Wing --Salmon /Peter Adams --Seabirds /Peter Pyle --Marine mammals /Jan Roletto --White sharks /Scot Anderson --Continental slope communities /Tom Laidig --Disposal of dredged material and other waste on the continental shelf and slope /John L. Chin and Allan Ota --Search for containers of radioactive waste on the sea floor /Herman A. Karl --Measuring radioactivity from waste drums on the sea floor /David G. Jones, Philip D. Roberts, and Johannes Limburg. Also available via Internet from the USGS web site. Address as of 07/16/2003: http://geopubs.wr.usgs.gov/circular/c1198/c1198short.pdf; current access is available via PURL.
- Dewey Decimal: 551.46/0809432
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: 78 p. : col. ill., col. maps ; 22 x 28 cm. + 1 CD-ROM (4 3/4 in.).
- Geology -- California -- Farallones, Gulf of the
- Oceanography -- California -- Farallones, Gulf of the
- Marine ecology -- California -- Farallones, Gulf of the
- Coastal zone management -- California -- Farallones, Gulf of the
- Gulf of the Farallones National Marine Sanctuary (Calif.)
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books