It is becoming increasingly evident that the deficiency of n-3 fatty acids in diet is not only associated with cardiovascular diseases, but also involved in stroke, epilepsy and other neurological and neurodegenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer disease, Parkinson disease, and peroxisomal diseases. In his newest book, Beneficial Effects of Fish Oil on Human Brain, Dr. Akhlaq A. Farooqui expands on the status and therapeutic importance of n-3 fatty acids (major components of fish oil) and their mediators in normal brain and those with neurodegenerative and neuropsychiatric diseases. Farooqui presents the benefits of n-3 fatty acids on Western diet, which is enriched in n-6 fatty acids (major components of vegetable oil) and may promote the above neurological disorders. The book will present readers with cutting edge and comprehensive information on metabolism and roles of neural membrane n-3 fatty acids. Neuroscientists, clinicians, neurologists, neuropathologists, opthamologists, dietitians, and nutritionists will find this book useful for understanding the molecular basis of n-3 fatty acids and their lipid mediators (resolvins and neuroprotectins) in neuroprotection in acute neural trauma (stroke, spinal cord trauma and head injury) and neurodegenerative diseases.
- Dewey Decimal: 612.822
- Physical Description: 6.1"x9.4"x1.3"; 1.7 lb; 386 pages
- Edition Info: Hardcover; 2009-07-28
- Health, Mind & Body -- Nutrition -- General
- Health, Mind & Body -- General
- Medicine -- Basic Science -- Biochemistry
- Medicine -- Internal Medicine -- Neurology -- Neuroscience
- Medicine -- Internal Medicine -- Neurology -- General
- Medicine -- Internal Medicine -- Neurology -- General AAS
- Medicine -- Special Topics -- Nutrition
- Professional & Technical -- Engineering -- Bioengineering -- Biochemistry
- Professional & Technical -- Medical -- Basic Sciences -- Biochemistry
- Professional & Technical -- Medical -- Basic Sciences -- Nutrition
- Professional & Technical -- Medical -- Medicine -- Internal Medicine -- Neurology -- General
- Professional & Technical -- Medical -- Medicine -- Internal Medicine -- Neurology -- Neuroscience
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books