Behind the Embassy Door: Canada, Clinton and Quebec
From the moment he became U.S. ambassador to Canada in 1993, James J. Blanchard was determined to make a difference. He succeeded � to hte benefit of both countries.Behind the Embassy Door is an insider�s view of politics and diplomacy at one of the most crucial periods in the history of U.S.-Canada relations. The North American Free Trade Agreement, negotiated against a background of fierce controversy, was agreed to but not yet ratified and a newly elected Liberal government had promised to renegotiate the deal. At the same time, the separatist government in Quebec was pushing the country to the brink of dissolution with a referendum on sovereignty. This book gives fascinating insight into the role of the U.S. ambassador at a time when seemingly minor remarks and gestures could prove decisive. This is an extraordinary account of how international relations are conducted at the highest level. It is also a candid account of the everyday life of an ambassador abroad. Blanchard takes us behind the scenes with a number of Canadian and American politicians and public figures, from Prime Minister Jean Chr�tien to President Clinton, and many of their senior cabinet members and advisers. Blanchard describes the coast-to-coast trip across Canada that he undertook shortly after his arrival. And he tells about visits to Ottawa by the president, Vice-President Gore, Madeleine Albright, and many others. He recalls how the president�s mother charmed a thousand women and how Hillary Clinton skated on the famed Rideau Canal.This book offers an unprecedented and frequently surprising look at the intimate everyday workings of a relationship that is unique among nations.
- Physical Description: 6.8"x8.9"x1.1"; 1.4 lb; 300 pages
- Edition Info: Hardcover; 1998-11
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books