At the heart of the Gospel: suffering in the earliest Christian message
Includes bibliographical references and indexes. Suffering and the Approach of This Book -- Why This Investigation Matters -- The Organization and Scope of This Book -- 1 Thessalonians -- Believer-Specific Suffering -- Paul's Reminder -- The Gospel Paul Proclaims Is Accompanied by Affliction -- The Shape of Affliction -- The Cause of Believer-Specific Suffering -- Suffering and Sanctification -- What Believer-Specific Suffering Is Not -- Suffering of Nonbelievers -- Using 1 Thessalonians to Talk about Suffering -- Believer-Specific Suffering: The Challenge to Suffer -- The Reasons for Believer-Specific Suffering -- Our Suffering Is Productive -- Joy -- Suffering and Sanctification -- The Suffering of Nonbelievers -- Making Paul's Response to Nonbelievers Our Own -- Philippians -- Suffering as a Believer -- Philippians as an Apology for Suffering -- Paul's Defense -- Paul Exhorts the Philippians to Engage in the Same Struggle He Knows -- The Communion of Suffering and Joy -- Suffering of Nonbelievers -- Using Philippians to Talk about Suffering -- Assurance in Suffering -- Philippians Offers Atypical Explanations for the Suffering of Believers -- Is Christ to Blame? -- Romans -- Humanity's Shared Suffering -- Sin Is a Power That Causes Suffering -- Believers and Nonbelievers Have Distinct Relationships to Sin -- Human Suffering in the Present -- The Suffering of Lack of Trust in God's Righteousness -- A History of Suffering -- Suffering in the Future -- Suffering as Humans "in Christ" -- Suffering of Nonbelievers -- Nonbelievers, Indentured to Sin, Help Spread Suffering -- The Suffering of Those Who Do Not Believe in God -- Nonbelievers, Whether Jew or Gentile, Create Suffering -- Nonbelievers, Whether Jew or Gentile, Will Suffer -- Nonbelievers, Whether Jew or Gentile, Will Be Subject to God's Wrath -- The Suffering of Believers: Suffering "in Christ" and "with Christ" -- Another Context for Human Suffering: "in Christ" -- "With Christ" Suffering -- Suffering "with Christ" with Insight -- Using Romans to Talk about Suffering -- Suffering Is an Affront to Human Dignity -- The Unity of Humanity -- Paul's Concern for Those Not "in Christ" -- Making Paul's Concern Our Own -- Suffering "in Christ" -- Suffering "with Christ": What It Means for Us, for God, and for God's Creation -- Speaking and Living the Heart of the Gospel: Our Message -- Our Response -- Suffering Is Wrong and to Be Resisted -- Resources "in Christ" to Respond to Suffering -- Our Hope -- Our Responsibility -- Paul's Invitation.
- LCC: BS2725.6
- Dewey Decimal: 233
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: xiv, 149 p. ; 23 cm.
- Edition Info: (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Bible -- N.T. -- Thessalonians, 1st -- Criticism, interpretation, etc
- Bible -- N.T. -- Philippians -- Criticism, interpretation, etc
- Bible -- N.T. -- Romans -- Criticism, interpretation, etc
- Suffering -- Biblical teaching
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books