Using purposive sampling from three high schools selected from the Csikszentmihalyi and Schneider (2000) work, available data from high school seniors who gave first year interviews were analyzed. Using a theoretical framework grounded in positive psychology (Rich, 2001), intrinsic motivation research (Deci et al., 1999), and career and identity development research (Greenberger & Steinberg, 1986), adolescents' understanding of careers to which they aspired were analyzed for several types of careers. First, adolescents' understanding of medical careers was explored for adolescents who aspired to medical careers. Second, adolescents' understanding of law careers was explored for adolescents who aspired to law careers. Third, adolescents' understanding of business careers was explored for adolescents who aspired to business careers. Fourth, adolescents' understanding of alternative careers which required educational and experiential prerequisites which were not clearly defined were explored for adolescents who aspired to such careers.
Adviser: Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi. Thesis (Ph.D.)--The University of Chicago, 2001. Electronic reproduction.Ann Arbor, MI :ProQuest Information and Learning Company,2003.System requirements: Adobe Acrobat Reader.Available via World Wide Web.Digital version of: Aspiring adolescents : optimal career development.
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: 164 p.
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books