Agent of Change: Print Culture Studies After Elizabeth L. Eisenstein (Studies in Print Culture and the History of the Book)
Inspiring debate since the early days of its publication, Elizabeth L. Eisenstein�s "The Printing Press as an Agent of Change: Communications and Cultural Transformations in Early-Modern Europe" (1979) has exercised its own force as an agent of change in the world of scholarship. Its path-breaking agenda has played a central role in shaping the study of print culture and "book history"�fields of inquiry that rank among the most exciting and vital areas of scholarly endeavor in recent years. Joining together leading voices in the field of print scholarship, this collection of twenty essays affirms the catalytic properties of Eisenstein�s study as a stimulus to further inquiry across geographic, temporal, and disciplinary boundaries. From early modern marginalia to the use of architectural title pages in Renaissance books, from the press in Spanish colonial America to print in the Islamic world, from the role of the printed word in nation-building to changing histories of reading in the electronic age, this book addresses the legacy of Eisenstein�s work in print culture studies today as it suggests future directions for the field. In addition to a conversation with Elizabeth L. Eisenstein, the book includes contributions by Peng Hwa Ang, Margaret Aston, Tony Ballantyne, Vivek Bhandari, Ann Blair, Barbara A. Brannon, Roger Chartier, Kai-wing Chow, James A. Dewar, Robert A. Gross, David Scott Kastan, Harold Love, Paula McDowell, Jane McRae, Jean-Dominique Mellot, Antonio Rodr�guez-Buckingham, Geoffrey Roper, William H. Sherman, Peter Stallybrass, H. Arthur Williamson, and Calhoun Winton.
- Dewey Decimal: 686.209
- Physical Description: 6.5"x9.4"x1.3"; 0.9 lb; 442 pages
- Edition Info: Hardcover; 2007-07
- Literature & Fiction -- Books & Reading
- Nonfiction -- Social Sciences -- Anthropology -- Cultural
- Nonfiction -- Social Sciences -- Sociology
- Nonfiction -- Social Sciences -- Library & Information Science
- Nonfiction -- Social Sciences -- Media Studies
- Reference -- Publishing & Books
- Professional & Technical -- Engineering -- Industrial, Manufacturing & Operational Systems -- Manufacturing
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books