A Rhetorical Conversation: Jewish Discourse in Modern Yiddish Literature
This book is about Jewish language. The fact that Jews speak and write in distinctive ways is well known. (The journalist Mike Royko called it 'Hebonics'.) These forms of expression actually draw from many sources and have been employed in popular culture from Henry Roth's "Call It Sleep" to the novels of Saul Bellow to contemporary television. What has received less attention is what allowed these modern forms to flow from a rich body of Yiddish literature. This book fills that gap by exploring the language of modern Yiddish literature, addressing emblematically why Jews answer a question with a question. Through a series of case studies, "A Rhetorical Conversation" explores various distinctive aspects of Yiddish literature to explain the nature and importance of Jewish discourse: the way of speaking, writing, arguing, and thinking developed by Yiddish culture based on prolonged and intimate contact with traditional texts.
- Dewey Decimal: 439.1
- Physical Description: 6.2"x9.2"x0.8"; 1.1 lb; 202 pages
- Edition Info: Hardcover; 2010-05-30
- History -- World -- Jewish -- General
- Literature & Fiction -- World Literature -- Jewish
- Reference -- Foreign Languages -- Instruction -- Yiddish
- Reference -- Words & Language -- Rhetoric
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books