Discographies: p. 199-225. Includes bibliographical references (p. 184-198) and index. Opening night in Tunisia : an introduction -- Earliest intimations of a return to the motherland -- Madame Zzaj testifies why a drum is a woman -- "A night in Tunisia" : the evolution of a standard -- John Coltrane : sounding the African cry for paradise -- George Russell teachesus to play the African game -- John Carter : the play of roots and folklore -- Count Ossie and the mystic revelation of Rastafari : to Mozambique via Marcus Garvey Drive -- Randy Weston : talking piano like a drum shouting freedom -- Max Roach : drumming the tales of African and African-American liberation -- Pierre D�rge : travelling through a new world jungle armed with guitar and orchestra -- Archie Shepp : magical portraits for the diaspora -- Yusef Lateef : re-visioning the geography of the blues -- Sunny Murray and the creation of time -- Ronald Shannon Jackson : journey to Africa without end -- Beyond the Americanization of Ooga Booga : charting the pathways of Afrocentric imagination.
- LCC: ML3506
- Dewey Decimal: 781.65/156
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: xii, 244 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
- Edition Info: (acid-free paper)
- Jazz -- Themes, motives
- Jazz -- History and criticism
- Africa -- Songs and music
- Music -- Africa -- History and criticism
- African Americans -- Music -- History and criticism
- Afro-Americans -- Music -- History and criticism
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books