A unique account of the life and career of George Stubbs, based on extensive conversations with the artist.George Stubbs (1724�1806) was one of the most original artists Britain ever produced. His extraordinary dedication to accuracy impelled him to spend 18 solitary months dissecting and drawing horses to make his landmark study, The Anatomy of the Horse. His portraits of people and animals combine an unflinchingly accurate gaze with profound psychological truth, yet he also created some of the most lyrical paintings of the age. Ozias Humphry, a colleague of Stubbs, recorded his many conversations with the painter, and the resulting manuscript became the basis for this present book. An introduction by art historian Anthony Mould sets the Memoir in context, with an overview of Stubbs� career, the eclipse of his reputation, and his eventual rehabilitation as one of Britain�s most popular yet enigmatic painters.
- Dewey Decimal: 759.2
- Physical Description: 4.2"x5.7"x0.4"; 0.2 lb; 96 pages
- Edition Info: Paperback; 2005-07-01
- Arts & Photography -- Artists, A-Z -- ( S-U ) -- Stubbs, George
- Arts & Photography -- Artists, A-Z -- General
- Arts & Photography -- History & Criticism -- Themes
- Arts & Photography -- History & Criticism -- General
- Arts & Photography -- Painting -- General
- Arts & Photography -- General
- Biographies & Memoirs -- Arts & Literature -- Artists, Architects & Photographers
- Biographies & Memoirs -- General
- History -- Europe -- England -- General
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books