Includes bibliographical references (p. 239-245) and index. Sketches and sketching / Giselher Schubert and Friedemann Sallis -- Preliminaries before visiting an archive / Ulrich Mosch -- Archival etiquette / Therese Muxeneder -- Coming to terms with the composer's working manuscripts / Friedemann Sallis -- The classification of musical sketches exemplified in the catalogue of the Archivio Luigi Nono / Erika Schaller -- Digital preservation of archival material / William Koseluk -- Transcribing sketches / Regina Busch -- A tale of two sketchbooks : reconstructing and deciphering Alban Berg's sketchbooks fpr Wozzeck / Patricia Hall -- "Written between the desk and the piano" : dating Béla Bartók's sketches / László Somfai -- Defining compositionl process : idea and instrumentation in Igor Stravinsky's Ragtime (1918) and Pribaoutki (1915) / Tomi Mäkelä -- Floating hierarchies : organisation and composition in works by Pierre Boulez and Karlheinz Stockhausen during the 1950s / Pascal Decroupet -- Elliott Carter's sketches : spiritual exercises and craftsmanship / Denis Vermaelen -- E-sketches : Brian Ferneyhough's use of computer-assisted compositional tools / Ross Feller -- John Cage's Williams Mix (1951-3) : the restoration and new realisations of and variations on the first octophonic, surround-sound tape composition / Larry Austin.
- LCC: ML93
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: xiii, 254 p. : ill., music. ; 26 cm.
- Edition Info: (hbk.)
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books