A Climate of Change: Hamilton Project Ideas on Energy Security and Climate
America is now acutely aware of climate change as never before. Energy security, on the other hand, has been a major American concern at least since the Arab oil embargo of the 1970s, and it too is receiving renewed attention in current political campaigns. In fact, oil shocks have played a major role in nine of the ten U.S. recessions since World War II. Given the connection between greenhouse gases and global warming, the quest for energy security and the need to slow down or mitigate climate change are clearly intertwined, and reducing consumption of fossil fuels is an essential step toward both."A Climate of Change" presents a multifaceted strategy for addressing climate change while simultaneously promoting energy security. First, the authors maintain, the U.S. government should price carbon and oil so that the private sector has adequate incentive to reduce their use. Second, they call for increased and refocused public investments on basic energy research along with long-run speculative energy technologies. Finally, America should lead by example and engage major carbon-emitting nations in a meaningful international response to climate change. In addition to presenting a broad climate change strategy, the book contains original research and alternative policy options from leading economists on each part of this approach. Contributors include Jason E. Bordoff (Brookings Institution), Manasi Deshpande (Brookings Institution), Gilbert Metcalf (Tufts University), Pascal J. Noel (Brookings Institution), and Robert N. Stavins (Harvard University).
- Dewey Decimal: 363
- Physical Description: 250 pages
- Edition Info: Hardcover; 2010-05
- Business & Investing -- Economics -- Natural Resources
- Business & Investing -- Industries & Professions -- Oil & Energy
- Nonfiction -- Politics -- General
- Nonfiction -- Social Sciences -- Political Science -- Public Policy
- Professional & Technical -- Professional Science -- Earth Sciences -- Environmental Science
- Science -- Earth Sciences -- Climatology -- Climate Changes
- Science -- Earth Sciences -- Environmental Science
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books