1001 Words You Need To Know and Use: An A-Z of Effective Vocabulary
Here is an informative and helpful guide to the meaning and usage of 1001 words that you really do need to know. Whether you need guidance for a letter, job application, essay, proposal, interview, or presentation, this book can help you choose the words you need to create the right effect. 1001 Words You Need to Know and Use is organized alphabetically, to help readers quickly find the word they need, and the book features a clear, easy-to-read design with an attractive two-color text. Each word is defined according to Oxford Dictionaries' latest research and includes sample sentences of real usage drawn from the Oxford English Corpus (the world's largest language databank, with more than two billion words). In addition, many entries include usage notes and word families, showing how related words can be used, with examples of pitfalls to avoid or hints on similar words. For instance, the entry for the verb "mediate" also highlights the different meanings of the related nouns "mediator" and "intermediary" (a mediator meets with both groups together, an intermediary shuttles between the groups, who remain apart). In addition, there is a subject index for quick help on key areas such as application letters, catching attention, writing reports and essays, and advice on how to express yourself persuasively. Learn the words that will help you to describe an event, discuss a topic, speak in an interview, evaluate a point of view, and write more clearly. A gold mine of practical guidance, this valuable language tool contains essential information for anyone wanting to achieve greater success in any written or spoken task.
- Dewey Decimal: 428.1
- Physical Description: 176 pages
- Edition Info: Paperback; 2010-03-15
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books