Includes bibliographical references (p. -200) and index. I. Preliminaries. 1. What is discourse and why analyse it? 2. Collecting data: practical and ethical considerations. 3. Transcribing spoken discourse -- II. Approaches. 4. Approaches to discourse analysis: an initial orientation. 5. Situations and events: the ethnography of speaking. 6. Doing things with words: pragmatics. 7. Sequence and structure: Conversation Analysis. 8. Small differences, big difference: interactional sociolinguistics. 9. Hidden agendas? Critical discourse analysis -- III. Applications. 10. Working with spoken discourse in social research. 11. Identity, difference and power: locating social relations in spoken discourse. 12. Designing your own projects.
- LCC: P302
- Dewey Decimal: 401/.41
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: 206 p. ; 25 cm.
- Edition Info: (PBK)
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books