Women, Desire, and Power in Italian Cinema offers, for the first time in Italian Cinema criticism, a contextual study of the representation of women in twentieth-century Italian films. Marga Cottino-Jones argues that the ways women are depicted on screen reflects a subconscious "sexual conservatism" typical of an Italian society rooted within a patriarchal ideology. The book then follows the slow but constant process of social awareness in the Italian society through women in film, especially after the 1950s. Comprehensive in scope, this book analyzes the films of internationally known male and female directors, such as Antonioni, Fellini, Rossellini, Visconti, Bertolucci, Benigni, Cavani, Wertmuller, Comencini, and Archibugi. Special consideration is given to the actresses and actors that have become the icons of Italian femininity and masculinity, such as Sofia Loren, Gina Lollobrigida, Silvana Mangano, Gian Carlo Giannini, Marcello Mastroianni, and Alberto Sordi.
Includes bibliographical references (p. -246) and indexes. Cabiria: women in the Italian colossals -- Women-as-spectacle in love-story films: the dramma passionale versus the melodrama genre and the phenomenon of divismo -- "Mothers of Italy": the legacy of fascism in Italian cinema -- Women in neorealist cinema -- A woman's search for change and meaningful relationships in the films of the 1950s -- Women and men as victims of violence and alienation int he films of the 1960s -- The sexual power game and its impact on women and men in the films of the 1970s -- Decentering the masculine and spotlighting the feminine in films of the 1980s -- Female agency in the films of the 1990s. Electronic reproduction.Basingstoke, England :Palgrave Macmillan,2010.
- LCC: PN1993.5
- Dewey Decimal: 808.823
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: 254 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
- Motion pictures -- Italy -- History -- 20th century
- Women in motion pictures
- Femininity in motion pictures
- Motion pictures and women -- Italy
- Feminism and motion pictures -- Italy
- Frau <Motiv>
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books