Wet britches and muddy bootsa history of travel in Victorian America
Includes bibliographical references and index.; Transportation for hire : from human burden to taxis -- Down that long & dusty road : stagecoach travel in America -- The omnibus : travel for all citizens -- Streetcars : that most democratic conveyance -- Ferryboats : crossing the rivers and bays -- Canals : the low and slow way to go -- River steamers : white swans on the inland rivers -- Lake steamers : on the inland sea -- Coastal & sound steamers : close to shore -- Ocean sail : at the mercy of the wind -- Ocean steam : the triumph of technology -- Emigrant travel : a nation of nations -- Passenger trains : coach class -- Passenger trains : first class -- Appendix : Travel words and tales.
- LCC: HE203
- Dewey Decimal: 388.0973/09034
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: xxvi, 512 p. :
- Edition Info: ;
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books