This book is an in-depth look at Native American music and the instruments used by indigenous peoples both past and present. It includes information and explanations of traditional and contemporary music, as well as instructions and descriptions of how to make most forms of traditional Native American musical instruments. Each instrument is accompanied by a description of how the instrument is played and for what purpose. Drums, flutes, whistles, shakers, rattles, gourds, bells and other musical instruments become easy to make and play. The book is filled with more than 100 contemporary and historical photographs, sketches, charts, graphs and illustrations which greatly enhance the text. The detailed sections on making and playing Native American flutes are especially stimulating. Douglas Spotted Eagle is a critically acclaimed performer of the Native American flute. As a Windham Hill recording artist, he has successfully melded traditional Native instruments with contemporary themes. Spotted Eagle is also the first artist ever to appear on the Billboard New Age charts as a solo performer with the Native American flute. A producer of over 200 indigenous recordings, he is one of the most knowledgeable persons in the field of Native American music today. This book represents a sharing of the knowledge gained through traveling the continent and working with Native musicians, drum groups and makers of instruments. Written for both beginning musician and seasoned Native music fan, this volume should prove invaluable for any person wishing to learn more about Native American songs, instruments, and Native American culture, both past and present. 31 illustrations; 5 graphs/music sheets; 70 photographs.
- Physical Description: 8.5"x11.0"x0.4"; 0.8 lb
- Edition Info: Paperback; 1997-09-01
- Amazon.com -- Entertainment -- Music -- Musical Genres -- Folk & Traditional
- Amazon.com -- Nonfiction -- Social Sciences -- General
- Amazon.com -- Nonfiction -- Social Sciences -- Sociology -- General
- Amazon.com -- Nonfiction -- Social Sciences -- Special Groups -- Native American Studies
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books