Understanding A separate peace: a student casebook to issues, sources, and historical documents
Includes bibliographical references and index. 1. A Literary Analysis of A Separate Peace: A Novel of Conflicts -- 1. The Old School Tie: The Preparatory School as Setting of the Novel. From: John Knowles, "A Naturally Superior School" (1956). From: John Knowles, "My Separate Peace" (1985). From: John Knowles, "Reflections of John Knowles about His Novel" (1972). From: John Knowles, "We Really Did Have a Club" (1995) -- 3. America's Prep Schools in Wartime. From: M. R. Williams, "Life at the Academy during World War II" (1942). From: "The Anticipatory Program: Changes Made at Exeter to Meet the Special Circumstances Caused by the Draft" (1943). From: Henry Phillips, "How Exeter Responded to the Coming of World War II: Preparations for the Defense of Exeter" (1943). From: Howard T. Easton, "Exeter in the Forties: A Faculty Perspective" (1972). From: James E. Hitt, It Never Rains after Three O'Clock: A History of the Baylor School, 1893-1968 (1971). From: Acosta Nichols, "War and a New Administration, 1940-1946," Forty Years More: A History of Groton School, 1934-1974 (1976) -- 4. "Gone For a Soldier" From: J. A. Power, "You're in the Army Now" (1940). From: Dale Kramer, "What It's Like in the Army" (1943). From: War Department Pamphlet #20-13 (1944). From: "Letter from Private Thomas Brush" (1943). From: P. F. C. Lin Zinberg, "Home Is Where ...?" (1943). From: Major Nicholas Michael, "The Psychoneurotic in the Armed Forces" (1946). From: General George Marshall, "Rejections of Inductees for Military Service to Reasons Relating to Psychoneurotics," Neuropsychiatry in World War II (1946) -- 5. The Combat Zone. From: "Combat Lessons" (1942). From: Captain William D. Banks, "Target: Ploesti" (1943). From: Interview and Colonel Ben Skardon, U.S. Army, Retired (1999). From: Interview with Joe K. Jones (1999).
- LCC: PS3561
- Dewey Decimal: 813/.54
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: xv, 204 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Edition Info: (alk. paper)
- Knowles, John,1926-Separate peace
- Preparatory schools -- United States -- History -- 20th century -- Sources
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Literature and the war -- Sources
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Literature and the war
- Preparatory school students in literature
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books