"Tuning, Timbre, Spectrum, Scale offers a unique analysis of the relationship between the structure of sound and the structure of scale and will be of use to musicians and composers who use inharmonic tones and sounds. This includes a large percentage of people composing and performing with modern musical synthesizers. It will be of use to arrangers, musicologists, and others interested in musical analysis. TTSS provides a unique approach to working with environmental sounds, and there are clear applications for the use of inharmonic sounds in film scoring. The book will also be of interest to engineers and others interested in the design of audio devices such as musical synthesizers, special effects devices, and keyboards."--BOOK JACKET.
Includes bibliographical references (p. -397) and index. 1. The octave is dead ... long live the octave -- 2. The science of sound -- 3. Sound on sound -- 4. Musical scales -- 5. Consonance and dissonance of harmonic sounds -- 6. Related spectra and scales -- 7. A bell, a rock, a crystal -- 8. Adaptive tunings -- 9. A wing, an anomaly, a recollection -- 10. The gamelan -- 11. Consonance-based musical analysis -- 12. From tuning to spectrum -- 13. Spectral mappings -- 14. A "music theory" for 10-tet -- 15. Classical music of Thailand and 7-tet -- 16. Speculation, correlation, interpretation, conclusion -- App. A. Mathematics of beats : where beats come from -- App. B. Ratios make cents : convert from ratios to cents and back again -- App. C. Speaking of spectra : how to use and interpret the FFT -- App. D. Additive synthesis : generating sound directly from the sine wave representation : a simple computer program -- App. E. How to draw dissonance curves : detailed derivation of the dissonance model, and computer programs to carry out the calculations -- App. F. Properties of dissonance curves : general properties help give an intuitive feel for dissonance curves -- App. G. Analysis of the time domain model : why the simple time domain model faithfully replicates the frequency domain model -- App. H. Behavior of adaptive tunings : mathematical analysis of the adaptive tunings algorithm -- App. I. Symbolic properties of [Theta]-tables : details of the spectrum selection algorithm -- App. J. Harmonic entropy : a measure of harmonicity -- App. K. Fourier's song : properties of the Fourier transform -- App. L. Tables of scales : miscellaneous tunings and tables.
- LCC: QC225.7
- Dewey Decimal: 534
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: xviii, 426 p. : ill. ; 24 cm. + 1 CD-ROM (4 3/4 in.)
- Edition Info: (acid-free paper)
- Amazon.com -- Engineering -- Electrical & Optical -- General
- Amazon.com -- Engineering -- Electrical & Optical -- Electronics -- General
- Tone color (Music)
- Musical intervals and scales
- Music -- Acoustics and physics
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books