Transformation and Crises: The Left and the Nation in Denmark and Sweden, 1956-1980 (Protest, Culture and Society) (Protest, Culture and Society)
The Left in the 1960s and 1970s has a powerful, almost mythical, place in the history of the 20th century. It was during these decades that the radical Left managed to renew the language of socialism as an alternative to communism and liberalism alike, but also when radicalism often led to extremism and social movements turned into political sects. Focusing on the Left in Denmark and Sweden during those turbulent decades, this study pays close attention to the political language in the two countries and shows the constant challenge to the concepts of the Left in the face of rapid social, cultural and political changes. The precarious relationship between the Left and the nation serves as a starting point for the exploration of the development of the New Left after the break with communism, the subsequent student revolts and radicalization of the late 1960s until the movement s apparent collapse at the end of the 1970s. This book illustrates the challenges the Left was facing in its attempt to articulate a credible political language at a time of social, cultural and political transformation.
- Dewey Decimal: 320.530948509045
- Physical Description: 6.1"x9.2"x0.6"; 1.1 lb; 256 pages
- Edition Info: Hardcover; 2008-08-20
- History -- Europe -- Ireland -- Troubles
- History -- Europe -- Scandinavia
- History -- Europe -- General AAS
- Nonfiction -- Politics -- Ideologies -- Communism & Socialism
- Nonfiction -- Politics -- Ideologies -- Radical Thought
- Nonfiction -- Politics -- General
- Nonfiction -- Social Sciences -- Political Science -- Political Doctrines -- General
- Nonfiction -- Social Sciences -- Political Science -- Political Doctrines -- Marxism
- Nonfiction -- Social Sciences -- Political Science -- General
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books