These Are the Words: A Vocabulary of Jewish Spiritual Life
What are the most essential ideas, concepts and terms that an educated person needs to know about Judaism? What is the basic vocabulary of Jewish spiritual life? Let one of the great teachers of our time take you on a historical and spiritual journey through Judaism. Judaism itself is a language, a group's way of expressing beliefs, longings, aspirations and dreams. The vocabulary of Jewish life is the framework that we use to hand our past on to our children. It is also the vocabulary that people of other faiths need to know to understand Judaism and Jewish life. In this highly readable, enlightening and entertaining book, Jews and non-Jews alike can learn more about the meaning, history and origin of 149 core Hebrew words that are shared and understood throughout the Jewish world and why it is important for people to know and use these words in Hebrew. From Adonai ("My Lord") to zekhut ("merit"), these are the words that constitute the basic vocabulary of Jewish communal and religious identity.
- Physical Description: 6.1"x9.0"x0.9"; 304 pages; 1.0 lb
- Edition Info: Paperback; 2001-01-01
- Amazon.com -- Religion & Spirituality -- Judaism -- History of Religion
- Amazon.com -- Religion & Spirituality -- Judaism -- Theology
Buying This Book
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books