The tragic vision of politics: ethics, interests, and orders
"Is it possible to preserve national security through ethical policies? Richard Ned Lebow seeks to show that ethics are actually essential to the national interest. Recapturing the wisdom of classical realism through a close reading of the texts of Thucydides, Clausewitz and Hans Morgenthau, Lebow argues that, unlike many modern realists, classical realists saw close links between domestic and international politics, and between interests and ethics. Lebow uses this analysis to offer a powerful critique of post-Cold-War American foreign policy. He also develops an ontological foundation for ethics and makes the case for an alternate ontology for social science based on Greek tragedy's understanding of life and politics. This is a topical and accessible book, written by a leading scholar in the field."--BOOK JACKET.
Includes bibliographical references and index. 1. Nixon in hell -- 2. Tragedy and politics -- 3. Thucydides and war -- 4. Thucydides and civilization -- 5. Carl von Clausewitz -- 6. Hans J. Morgenthau -- 7. The wisdom of classical realism -- 8. Running red lights and ruling the world -- 9. Tragedy and scholarship.
- LCC: UA10.5
- Dewey Decimal: 172/.4
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: xvii, 405 p. ; 24 cm.
- Edition Info: (hbk.)
- Clausewitz, Carl von,1780-1831
- Morgenthau, Hans Joachim,1904
- National security -- Moral and ethical aspects
- International relations -- Moral and ethical aspects
- Realism -- Political aspects
- United States -- Foreign relations -- 1989
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books