The Rise of big business and the beginnings of antitrust and railroad regulation, 1870-1900
Includes bibliographical references. Industrial organization, corporate strategy and structure / Richard E. Caves -- The Emergence of managerial capitalism / Alfred D. Chandler, Jr. -- The Origins of antitrust: an interest-group perspective / Thomas J. DiLorenzo -- The Sherman Antitrust Act, comparative business structure, and the rule of reason: America and Great Britain, 1880-1920 / Tony Freyer -- Swift & Co. v. United States: the beef trust and the stream of commerce doctrine / David Gordon -- New Jersey corporate chartermongering, 1875-1929 / Christopher Grandy -- The Robber barons revisited / Edward C. Kirkland -- As much technological as pecuniary: turn-of-the-century combinations in three major industries / Janet T. Knoedler -- Industrial organization and market behavior: the great merger movement in American industry / Naomi R. Lamoreaux -- Populism, steamboats and the octopus: transportation rates and monopoly in California's wheat regions, 1890-1896 / Michael Magliari -- Setting the standard: fertilizers, state chemists, and early national commercial regulation, 1880-1887 / Alan I. Marcus -- The Troubled subject of railroad regulation in the gilded age - a reappraisal / Albro Martin -- American law and the marketing structure of the large corporation, 1875-1890 / Charles W. McCurdy -- Factory size, economies of scale, and the great merger wave of 1898-1902 / Anthony Patrick O'Brien -- The Octopus reconsidered: the Southern Pacific and agricultural modernization in California, 1865-1915 / Richard J. Orsi -- Missouri and monopoly: the 1890's as an experiment in law enforcement / Steven L. Piott -- National railroad regulation and the problem of state-building: interests and institutions in late nineteenth-century America / Stephen Skowronek -- The Origin of the Sherman Act / George J. Stigler. The Modern corporation: origins, evolution, attributes / Oliver E. Williamson.
- LCC: HD3616
- Dewey Decimal: 338.8/0973
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: xvii, 423 p. : ill., maps ; 24 cm.
- Edition Info: (acid-free paper)
- Trade regulation -- United States -- History
- Corporations -- United States -- History
- Monopolies -- United States -- History
- Railroads and state -- United States -- History
- Business and politics -- United States -- History
- Industries -- Competition
- United States
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books