The Prestige of the Pagan Prophet Balaam in Judaism, Early Christianity and Islam (Themes in Biblical Narrative)
This volume deals with the pagan prophet Balaam who figures in the book of Numbers. By the very nature of his stature as a non-Israelite, pagan prophet, the figure of Balaam raises important questions with regard to the nature of prophecy and the relation between the Israelite God and the pagan nations. The conflicting stories and potent oracles of Balaam in Numbers 22-24 and other parts of the Jewish Scriptures prompted extensive reflection on this ambiguous figure. Thus the leading perspective developed in this volume is the often simultaneous praise and criticism of Balaam as a prestigious pagan prophet throughout ancient Judaism, early Christianity and the early Koranic commentaries. The papers are clustered in four sections which deal with: Balaam in the Old Testament and the Ancient Near East, and comparable figures in Ancient Greece; Balaam in Ancient Judaism; Balaam in the New Testament & Early Christianity; and, Balaam in the Koran and early Koranic commentaries. The reception of this enigmatic figure can be characterized as the simultaneous praise and criticism of a pagan prophet. This book is particularly useful as it also contains Emile Puech's newly reconstructed text, translation and commentary of the first combination of the Deir 'Alla inscriptions which contain an excerpt of the book of the historical Balaam. Combined with the other papers, the volume pictures a fascinating continuum between paganism, Judaism, Christianity, and Islam.
- Dewey Decimal: 222.14092
- Physical Description: 6.4"x9.7"x0.9"; 1.5 lb; 328 pages
- Edition Info: Hardcover; 2008-03-15
- Religion & Spirituality -- Bible & Other Sacred Texts
- Religion & Spirituality -- Christianity -- Church History
- Religion & Spirituality -- Christianity -- Reference
- Religion & Spirituality -- Judaism -- History of Religion
- Religion & Spirituality -- Religious Studies -- Comparative Religion
- Religion & Spirituality -- Religious Studies -- History
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books