The Missionary and the Libertine : Love and War in East and West (Vintage)
From Naipauls India to the last days of Hong Kong, and from the ghosts of Pearl Harbor to Benazir Bhutto, Buruma delivers an engaging and incisive look at the ways East and West understandand misunderstandeach other. At home in both worlds, Buruma traverses the realms of journalism, literary criticism, and political analysis, to examine the dialogue of fact and fantasy that affects our perception of far-away lands. Whether deconstructing the films of Satyajit Ray or the novels of Yoshimoto Banana, Buruma offers a splendid counterbalance to fashionable theories of clashing civilizations and uniquely Asian values. In twenty-five illuminating, often humorous essays, The Missionary and the Libertine shows us why Burumas reputation for writing the most compelling commentary on the faultlines of the East-West divide is so secure.
- Physical Description: 5.2"x8.0"x0.8"; 352 pages; 0.6 lb
- Edition Info: Paperback; 2001-08-14
- Amazon.com -- Nonfiction -- Current Events -- International
- Amazon.com -- Nonfiction -- Politics -- General
- Amazon.com -- Nonfiction -- Politics -- History & Theory
- Amazon.com -- Nonfiction -- Politics -- International -- Relations
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books