The imagined Civil War: popular literature of the North & South, 1861-1865
"Alice Fahs explores a little-known and fascinating side of the Civil War - the outpouring of popular literature inspired by the conflict. From 1861 to 1865, authors and publishers in both the North and the South produced a remarkable variety of war-related compositions, including poems, songs, children's stories, romances, novels, histories, and even humorous pieces. Fahs mines these rich but long-neglected resources to recover the diversity of the war's political and social meanings." "Instead of narrowly portraying the Civil War as a clash between two great, white armies, popular literature offered a wide range of representations through which to consider the conflict, as Fahs demonstrates. Works that explored the war's devastating impact on white women's lives, for example, proclaimed the importance of their experiences on the home front, while popular writings that celebrated black manhood and heroism in the wake of emancipation helped readers begin to imagine new roles for blacks in American life. By providing subjects and characters with which a broad spectrum of people could identify, popular literature invited ordinary Americans to envision themselves as active participants in the war and helped shape new modes of imagining the relationships of diverse individuals to the nation."--BOOK JACKET.
Enlargement of author's thesis (Ph. D.)--New York University. Includes bibliographical references (p. -391) and index.
- LCC: PS217
- Dewey Decimal: 810.9/358
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: xi, 410 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
- Edition Info: (cloth : alk. paper)
- War and literature -- Southern States -- History -- 19th century
- American literature -- Southern States -- History and criticism
- Popular literature -- Southern States -- History and criticism
- War and literature -- United States -- History -- 19th century
- American literature -- 19th century -- History and criticism
- Popular literature -- United States -- History and criticism
- War stories, American -- History and criticism
- War poetry, American -- History and criticism
- Southern States -- In literature
- War in literature
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Literature and the war
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books