The Grid 2: Blueprint for a New Computing Infrastructure
The Grid is an emerging infrastructure that will fundamentally change the way we think about-and use-computing. The word Grid is used by analogy with the electric power grid, which provides pervasive access to electricity and has had a dramatic impact on human capabilities and society. Many believe that by allowing all components of our information technology infrastructure-computational capabilities, databases, sensors, and people-to be shared flexibly as true collaborative tools the Grid will have a similar transforming effect, allowing new classes of applications to emerge. -From the Preface In 1998, Ian Foster and Carl Kesselman introduced a whole new concept in computing with the first edition of this book. Today there is a broader and deeper understanding of the nature of the opportunities offered by Grid computing and the technologies needed to realize those opportunities. In Grid 2, the editors reveal the revolutionary impact of large-scale resource sharing and virtualization within science and industry, the intimate relationships between organization and resource sharing structures and the new technologies required to enable secure, reliable, and efficient resource sharing on large scale.Foster and Kesselman have once again assembled a team of experts to present an up-to-date view of Grids that reports on real experiences and explains the available technologies and new technologies emerging from labs, companies and standards bodies. Grid 2, like its predecessor, serves as a manifesto, design blueprint, user guide and research agenda for future Grid systems.*30 chapters including more than a dozen completely new chapters.*Web access to 13 unchanged chapters from the first edition.*Three personal essays by influential thinkers on the significance of Grids from the perspectives of infrastructure, industry, and science.*A foundational overview of the central Grid concepts and architectural principles.*Twelve application vignettes showcase working Grids in science, engineering, industry, and commerce.*Detailed discussions of core architecture and services, data and knowledge management, and higher-level tools.*Focused presentations on production Grid deployment, computing platforms, peer-to-peer technologies, and network infrastructures.*Extensive bibliography and glossary.
- Physical Description: 8.2"x9.0"x1.9"; 748 pages; 3.9 lb
- Edition Info: Hardcover; 2003-11-18
- Amazon.com -- Computers & Internet -- Networking -- Data in the Enterprise -- Client-Server Systems
- Amazon.com -- Computers & Internet -- General
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books