Includes bibliographical references (p. -608) and index. Futures / Donald E. Pease and Robyn Wiegman -- What's in a name? / Jan Radway -- The international within the national : American studies and Asian American critique / Lisa Lowe -- The future in the present : sexual avant-gardes and the performance of Utopia / Jos?e Esteban Mu?noz -- Manifest domesticity / Amy Kaplan -- C.L.R. James, Moby-Dick, and the emergence of transnational American studies / Donald E. Pease -- Postnationalism, globalism, and the new American studies / John Carols Rowe -- Salesman in Moscow / Dana Heller -- The humanities in the age of expressive individualism and cultural radicalism / Winfried Fluck -- Autobiographies of the ex-white men : why race is not a social construction / Walter Benn Michaels -- Color blindness and acting out / Carl Guti?errez-Jones -- Whiteness studies and the paradox of particularity / Robyn Wiegman -- Identities and identity studies : reading Toni Cade Bambara's "The Hammer Man" / Lindon Barrett -- Hemisphere vertigo : Cuba, Quebec, and other provisional reconfigurations of "our" new America(s) / Ricardo L. Ortiz -- Marriage as treason : polygamy, nation and the novel / Nancy Bentley -- Litigious therapeutics : recovering the rights of children / Gillian Brown -- American studies in the "Age of the world picture" : thinking the question of language / William V. Spanos -- Work and culture in American studies / Michael Denning -- "Sent for you yesterday, here you come today" : American studies scholarship and the new social movements / George Lipsitz -- Toward a dialogics of international American culture studies : transnationality, border discourses, and public culture(s) / G?unter H. Lenz -- American studies, American politics, and the reinvention of class / Paul Lauter -- The end of academia : the future of American studies / Eric Cheyfitz -- Nation dot com : American studies and the production of the corporatist citizen / Russ Castronovo -- ConsterNation / Dana D. Nelson. Electronic reproduction.Palo Alto, Calif. :ebrary,2008.(e-Duke scholarly books collection).Available via World Wide Web.Access may be limited to ebrary affiliated libraries.
- LCC: E175.8
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: viii, 619 p. ; 24 cm.
- United States -- Study and teaching
- United States -- Study and teaching -- Forecasting
- United States -- Social conditions -- 1980
- Electronic books
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books