The familial gaze
"This volume originated in an exhibition entitled 'The familial gaze' and a conference on 'Family pictures/shapes of memory' held at Dartmouth College's Hood Museum of Art in the spring of 1996"--Pref. Includes bibliographical references. Introduction. Familial Looking / Marianne Hirsch -- Pictures from Home / Larry Sultan -- Collected Visions / Lorie Novak -- Nazism in the Family Album: Christian Boltanski's Sans Souci / Ernst van Alphen -- Putting Ourselves in the Picture: Memoirs and Mourning / Nancy Miller -- Observations of a Mother / Jane Gallop and Dick Blau -- Photography, Narrative, and Ideology in Suzanne Suzanne and Finding Christa by Camille Billops and James V. Hatch / Valerie Smith -- Mein Kampf (My Struggle) / Art Spiegelman -- The Sisters and Aunt Winnie / Albert Chong -- A Search for Self: The Photograph and Black Family Life / Deborah Willis -- Domestic Borders, Cultural Boundaries: Black Feminists Re-view the Family / Elizabeth Abel -- Viewing the Remains: A Polemic on Death, Spectacle, and the [Black] Family / Deborah E. McDowell -- The Image as Memorial: Personal Photographs in Cultural Memory / Marita Sturken -- A Meeting of Two Queens: An Exercise in Memory Work / Annette Kuhn -- The Album and the Crossing / Leo Spitzer -- All in the Family: Familiarity and Estrangement According to Marcel Proust / Mieke Bal -- Seeing Sentiment: Photography, Race, and the Innocent Eye / Laura Wexler -- Black Bodies in Evidence: Maternal Visibility in Renee Cox's Family Portraits / Andrea Liss -- Photography, Feminism, and the Good Enough Mother / Joanne Leonard -- Focusing on the Family: Family Pictures and the Politics of the Religious Right / Ann Burlein -- Conclusions Based on Observation / Anne Higonnet -- Blurring the Familial: An Afterword / Laura Levitt.
- LCC: TR640
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: xxv, 352 p.,  p. of plates : ill. (some col.) ; 24 cm.
- Edition Info: (alk. paper)
- Photography of families -- Congresses
- Family -- United States -- Folklore -- Congresses
- Photography of families -- Exhibitions
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books