This book is a comprehensive, highly illustrated, account of the German attempt in 1944 to thrust through the Ardennes and seize the port of Antwerp, thereby splitting the Allied forces and stemming the flow of equipment and men - its failure was the beginning of the end for Hitler's Third Reich. In December 1944, the German Army launched an attack through the Ardennes forest that aimed to seize the port of Antwerp and cut the Allied supply lines, hoping to force the Western Allies either to delay their advance or agree to a peace settlement - this is the comprehensive history of Hitler's last offensive in the West, the failure of which undoubtedly hastened the end of the war. The book begins with a study of the background to the battle and a description of events in the West leading up to the offensive, the poor state of the Allies' defences and the low quality of the American troops on the front line in the Ardennes as well as the special tactics used by the Germans, notably Skorzeny's commandos dressed in US uniforms. A bitter struggle developed for the key town of Bastogne, the offensive lost momentum and, once the skies cleared, the Allies brought the full weight of their airpower to bear. The authoritative text is complemented with detailed maps that explain the troops' movements, plus appendices with information on orders of battle, losses and equipment.
- Dewey Decimal: 909
- Physical Description: 8.5"x11.3"x0.9"; 2.3 lb; 176 pages
- Edition Info: Hardcover; 2002-10-21
- History -- Military -- World War II -- General
- History -- Military -- World War II -- General AAS
- History -- Military -- General
- History -- Military -- General AAS
- History -- World -- General
- History -- World -- General AAS
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books