Despite its significance in the reproductive cycle of flowering plants, and its importance in helping to interpret plant evolution, the stamen, and its fertile, pollen bearing part, the anther, have received relatively little scientific attention. To address this shortcoming, the contributors in this volume give an indication of the kinds of studies now being undertaken with a view to stimulating further work on this neglected plant organ. Traditional and current concepts of stamen construction, terminology and function are summarized, and an extensive bibliography gives access to relevant literature. New evidence for the evolution of the anther is drawn from the fossil record and from current studies of its growth and structure, and the dynamics of stamen evolution is detailed for several families.
- Dewey Decimal: 580
- Physical Description: 6.0"x8.9"x0.9"; 0.8 lb; 364 pages
- Edition Info: Paperback; 2009-09-24
- Science & Math -- Biological Sciences -- Botany
- Science & Math -- Biological Sciences -- Plants -- Flowers
- Medical Books -- Pharmacology
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books