"For more than forty years, backed by a broad reading of the multilingual literature, Nicholas and Nina Shoumatoff explored, climbed, and studied the Alps from west to east, south to north, and bottom to top as few have done." "Neither travel guide nor narrative, The Alps presents an unusual synthesis of the entire Alpine region. The broad scope of the book encompasses the region's geography, geology, climate, vegetable and animal kingdoms, ethnic groups, dialects, pastoral life and festivals, home life and folk arts, legends, fiction, visual arts, music and dancing, warfare, summit climbing, trekking, ski touring, and what the authors call psychological ecology. Unifying this kaleidoscope is the authors' deep understanding of the interdependence between and within the natural and cultural realms."--BOOK JACKET.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 237-247) and index.
- LCC: DQ823.5
- Dewey Decimal: 949.4/7
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: xxi, 265 p.,  p. of plates : col. ill., maps ; 24 cm.
- Edition Info: (alk. paper)
- Human ecology -- Alps
- Mountain ecology -- Alps
- Human geography -- Alps
- Alps -- History
- Alps -- Civilization
- Alps -- Description and travel
- Alps -- Social life and customs
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books