Street Fighters: The Last 72 Hours of Bear Stearns, the Toughest Firm on Wall Street
The shocking fall of Bear Stearns in March 2008 set off a wave of global financial turmoil that continues to ripple. How could one of the oldest, most resilient firms on Wall Street go so far astray that it had to be sold at a fire sale price? How could the guys who ran Bear so aggressively miscalculate so completely? In this vivid and dramatic narrative, Kate Kelly takes us inside Bear�s walls during its final, frenzied 72 hours as an independent firm. Expanding with fresh detail from her acclaimed front- page series in The Wall Street Journal, she captures every sight, sound, and smell of those three unbelievable days. For decades, Bear had proudly recruited �P.S.Ds�� employees who were poor, smart, and had a deep desire to become rich. An elite family or Ivy League diploma didn�t matter. Were you willing to do almost anything to make money for the firm? Were you tough enough to be a street fighter? Bear�s leaders were arrogant and didn�t play nice. But their style had made them a fortune, and had helped Bear survive every crisis from the Great Depression to the dotcom bubble. Yet as the subprime mortgage crisis began to brew, the firm�s key executives descended into civil war. Kelly reveals fresh, never-before-told details about the moves that led to that brutal final weekend. With a style as riveting as it is enlightening, Street Fighters is the definitive account of a once-great firm�s demise, and the human folly that led to the worst financial crisis since the 1930s.
- Dewey Decimal: 332.660973
- Physical Description: 5.9"x8.9"x1.1"; 0.8 lb; 256 pages
- Edition Info: Hardcover; 2009-05-12
- Business & Investing -- Industries & Professions -- Banks & Banking
- Professional & Technical -- Accounting & Finance -- Finance -- General
- Professional & Technical -- Accounting & Finance -- Finance -- General AAS
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books