Stories of the invisible: a guided tour of molecules
Spiced with quotations from Primo Levi, Flann O'Brien, and Thomas Pynchon, Stories of the invisible takes us on a tour of a world few of us knew existed. The author describes, for instance, the remarkable molecular structure of spider's silk--a material that is pound for pound much stronger the steel--and shows how the Kevlar fibers in bulletproof vests were invented by imitating the alignment of molecules found in the spider's amazing thread. We also learn about the protein molecules that create movement, without which bacteria would be immobile, cells could not divide, there would be no reproduction and therefore no life. The book describes molecules shaped like miniature sculptures, containers, soccer balls, threads, rings, levers and geodesic domes, all made by sticking atoms together. Perhaps most important, Ball provides a fresh perspective on the future of molecular science, revealing how researchers are promising to reinvent chemistry as the central creative science of the 21st century.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 195) and index. Engineers of the invisible : making molecules -- Vital signs : the molecules of life -- Take the strain : materials from molecules -- Burning issue : molecules and energy -- Good little movers : molecular motors -- Delivering the message : molecular communication -- Chemical computer : molecular information.
- LCC: QD461
- Dewey Decimal: 541.2/2
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: xv, 204 p. : ill. ; 21 cm.
- Edition Info: (pbk.)
- Amazon.com -- Science -- Biological Sciences -- Biotechnology
- Amazon.com -- Science -- Biological Sciences -- Biology -- Molecular Biology
- Amazon.com -- Science -- Chemistry -- Physical & Theoretical
- Amazon.com -- Science -- History & Philosophy -- General
- Amazon.com -- Engineering -- Bioengineering -- Biotechnology
- Amazon.com -- Professional & Technical -- Professional Science -- Biological Sciences -- Biology -- Molecular Biology
- Amazon.com -- Professional & Technical -- Professional Science -- Biological Sciences -- Biotechnology
- Amazon.com -- Professional & Technical -- Professional Science -- Chemistry -- Physical & Theoretical
- Molecules -- Popular works
- Chemistry -- Popular works
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books