The Seventh Edition of State and Local Government in a Federal System continues the tradition of comprehensive coverage, providing teachers with choices that are suitable to either two- or three-unit courses with emphasis on local or state government. The chapter on government powers now includes a new principal case on home rule and many contemporary problems. Coverage of alternative models for local government has been significantly revised in light of the growing importance of political fragmentation, regional governance, citizen participation, privatization, and intergovernmental conflicts. The chapter on public finance is even more important in an era of substantial public fiscal constraints and has been updated coverage addresses recent trends. The chapter on public employees continues to include unique coverage of public records and open meetings laws and lawyers' ethical obligations. It has also been updated and streamlined in light of recent case law developments relating to constitutional rights of public employees and introduces core concepts relating to collective bargaining in the public sector. The chapter on federalism includes a new introductory problem relating to health care reform. Additionally, the casebook has been carefully edited and improved with an eye to enhancing teachability. Each chapter includes one or more ""problems"" to illustrate the application of key principles. Principal cases that have been particularly effective in the past have been retained, while newer cases have been added to enhance student engagement. Similarly, supplemental notes and questions have been pruned and updated. And more detailed supplemental material is treated in a number of extended ""Notes on"" key topics, providing professors with nuanced options in coverage.
- Physical Description: 1108 pages
- Edition Info: Hardcover; 2010-06-30
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books