Southern Honor: Ethics and Behavior in the Old South
Preface to Twenty-Fifth Anniversary Edition. Part One: Origins and Definitions. 1. Honor in Literary Perspective. 2. Primal Honor: Valor, Blood, and Bonding. 3. Primal Honor: The Tensions of Patriarchy. 4. Gentility. Part Two: Family and Gender Behavior. 5. Fathers, Mothers, and Progeny. 6. Male Youth and Honor. 7. A Young Man's Career: Cultural and Familial Limits. 8. Strategies of Courtship and Marriage. 9. Women in a Man's World: Role and Self-Image. 10. Law, Property, and Male Dominance. 11. Male Custom in Family Life. 12. Status, Law, and Sexual Misconduct. Part Three: Structures of Rival.
Contents; PART ONE: ORIGINS AND DEFINITIONS; PART TWO: FAMILY AND GENDER BEHAVIOR; PART THREE: STRUCTURES OF RIVALRY AND SOCIAL CONTROL; Lists of Abbreviations and Short Titles; Notes; Index; Electronic reproduction.Available via World Wide Web.
- LCC: F209
- Dewey Decimal: 975
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: 640 p.
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books