Scientific data management: challenges, technology, and deployment
"Dealing with the volume, complexity, and diversity of data currently being generated by scientific experiments and simulations often causes scientists to waste productive time. Scientific Data Management: Challenges, Technology, and Deployment describes cutting-edge technologies and solutions for managing and analyzing vast amounts of data, helping scientists focus on their scientific goals. The book begins with coverage of efficient storage systems, discussing how to write and read large volumes of data without slowing the simulation, analysis, or visualization processes. It then focuses on the efficient data movement and management of storage spaces and explores emerging database systems for scientific data. The book also addresses how to best organize data for analysis purposes, how to effectively conduct searches over large datasets, how to successfully automate multistep scientific process workflows, and how to automatically collect metadata and lineage information. This book provides a comprehensive understanding of the latest techniques for managing data during scientific exploration processes, from data generation to data analysis. Enhanced by numerous detailed color images, it includes real-world examples of applications drawn from biology, ecology, geology, climatology, and more."--Publisher's description.
"A Chapman & Hall book." Includes bibliographical references and index. Storage technology / Jason Hick and John Shalf -- Parallel data storage and access / Robert Ross ... [et al.] -- Dynamic storage management / Arie Shoshani ... [et al.] -- Coordination of access to large-scale datasets in distributed environments / Tevfik Kosar ... [et al.] -- High-throughput data movement / Scott Klasky ... [et al.] -- Accelerating queries on very large datasets / Ekow Otoo and Kesheng Wu -- Emerging database systems in support of scientific data / Per Svensson ... [et al.] -- Scientific data analysis / Chandrika Kamath ... [et al.] -- Scientific data management challenges in high-performance visual data analysis / E. Wes Bethel ... [et al.] -- Interoperability and data integration in the geosciences / Michael Gertz, Carlos Rueda, and Jianting Zhang -- Analyzing data streams in scientific applications / Tore Risch ... [et al.] -- Metadata and provenance management / Ewa Deelman ... [et al.] -- Scientific process automation and workflow management / Bertram Ludascher ... [et al.]
- LCC: Q183.9
- Dewey Decimal: 502.85
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: xxxii, 534 p.,  p. of plates : ill. (some col.), maps (some col.) ; 25 cm.
- Edition Info: (alk. paper)
- Computers & Internet -- Databases -- Data Mining
- Computers & Internet -- Databases -- General
- Computers & Internet -- Databases -- General AAS
- Computers & Internet -- Software -- Databases
- Professional & Technical -- Professional Science -- Mathematics -- Pure Mathematics -- Combinatorics
- Science -- Experiments, Instruments & Measurement -- Experiments & Projects
- Science -- Experiments, Instruments & Measurement -- Microscopes & Microsocopy
- Science -- Mathematics -- Pure Mathematics -- Combinatorics
- Science -- Mathematics -- General
- Science -- Mathematics -- General AAS
- Science -- General
- Science -- General AAS
- Science -- Data processing
- Database management
- Computer simulation
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books