"Romancing tells the story of a man once described as possessing 'a strange mix of dash and melancholy', who listed just one recreation in Who's Who: 'romancing over the bottle, to a good band'. It explores his aristocratic upbringing; his time at Oxford, where his contemporaries included Evelyn Waugh and his tutor was C. S. Lewis; his period as a firefighter in the Blitz; his flirtations; his final years as a recluse; and above all his writing." "Part of the fascination of Henry Green's life stems from its juxtaposition of very different periods of history - from the 'Brideshead Generation' to the Blitz. This long-awaited biography also provides an assessment of Green's achievement as a novelist who wrote incomparably about the lives of working people as well as the upper classes during a period of convulsive social change." "In this account of his life, biographer Jeremy Treglown explores the psychological interplay between Henry Green the author and Henry Yorke the man."--BOOK JACKET.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 283-286) and index.
- Dewey Decimal: 823.912
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: xvii, 340 p.,  p. of plates : ill. ; 23 cm.
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books