Rhetoric of sensibility in eighteenth-century culture
Includes bibliographical references (p. 202-213) and index. Introduction -- Spectacular passions : eighteenth-century oratory and the reform of eloquence -- Bodies on the borders of politeness : 'Orator Henley', Methodist enthusiasm and polite literature -- Thomas Sheridan : forging the British body -- The art of acting : mid-century stagecraft and the broadcast of feeling -- Polite reading : sentimental fiction and the performance of response -- Epilogue.
- LCC: PR448
- Dewey Decimal: 820.9/3561
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: xi, 222 p. ; 24 cm.
- Body, Human, in literature -- History -- 18th century
- Sensitivity (Personality trait) -- History -- 18th century
- Body, Human -- Social aspects -- Great Britain -- History -- 18th century
- Body, Human -- Symbolic aspects -- Great Britain -- History -- 18th century
- Sensitivity (Personality trait)
- English literature -- 18th century
- Eighteenth century
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books