Remaking media: the struggle to democratize public communication
"Hackett and Carroll's approach is innovative in its attention to an emerging social movement that appears at the cutting edge of cultural and political contention. The book is grounded in three scholarly traditions that provide interpretive resources for a study of democratic media activism: political theories of democracy, critical media scholarship and the sociology of social movements. By synthesizing insights from these sources they provide a unique and timely reading of the contemporary struggle to democratize communication."--BOOK JACKET.
Includes bibliographical references (p. -227) and index. 1. Introduction : beyond the media's democratic deficit? -- 2. What is at stake? : power and the media field -- 3. Democratizing society : social movements and public communication -- 4. Visions and divisions : normative commitments of media democratization -- 5. The long revolution and the media alliance -- 6. Campaigning for press and broadcasting freedom in the UK -- 7. Challenges for media activism : obstacles and opponents -- 8. Springboards for media activism : opportunities, resources, strategies and allies -- 9. Movement formation and counterhegemony in a global city -- 10. Identity, vision, strategies : media democratization as counterhegemony -- 11. Conclusion : media activism as movement-nexus?
- Dewey Decimal: 302.23
- Language: eng
- Physical Description: xvi, 235 p. ; 24 cm.
- Edition Info: (ebook)
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books