This new book includes a set of introductory readings, first on the history and scope of public health, then on the basic constitutional principles that define the scope and limits of government power, followed by a series of case studies of specific public health problems. Each case study chapter focuses on one particular set of public health problems and analyzes the legal and political parameters within which these problems can and should be addresses. The chapters are organized in a way that develops themes and highlights recurring issues and paradigms, with the final chapter bringing many of these together in an integrated way. Each chapter includes references to additional and supplemental materials, and provides citations to websites and other sources for updating these materials. The authors also highlight the international dimensions of each of the problem areas covered in the materials. Coverage of Public Health Law includes: Chapter 1: An Introduction to Public Health in the United States Chapter 2: Basic Constitutional Principles Applicable to the Exercise of State Authority Relating to Public Health Chapter 3: Contagious Diseases: Quarantine and Other Liberty-Restricting Responses Chapter 4: Public Health Surveillance and Medical Information Privacy Chapter 5: Tobacco, Smoking, and the Publics Health Chapter 6: Health Promotion and Education: Encouraging Healthy Personal Behavior Chapter 7: Firearms and Gun Control Chapter 8: (Bio)Terrorism
- Edition Info: Hardcover; 2007
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books