Protest or Propaganda: War in the Old Testament Book of Kings and in Contemporaneous Ancient Near Eastern Texts (Studia Semitica Neerlandica)
In this study, the war stories from the Old Testament book of "Kings" are compared to ten extrabiblical texts. Narratological analysis is applied to deconstruct the ideology of the respective literary compositions. The Old Testament ideology of war seems to be neither typically Israelite, as Gerhardt von Rad put it, nor commonly Ancient Near Eastern, as Manfred Weippert thought it to be. This poses the question whether the reading experience of biblical war stories is so very different from, for instance, Assyrian royal inscriptions, both in terms of its literary value and its ideological bias. Narratological analysis turns out to be a strong tool for explaining the similarities and distinctive features of the respective texts.
- Dewey Decimal: 222.506
- Physical Description: 6.6"x9.6"x1.7"; 2.9 lb; 706 pages
- Edition Info: Hardcover; 2008-08-15
- Arts & Photography -- History & Criticism -- Regional -- Middle Eastern
- History -- Ancient -- General
- History -- Ancient -- General AAS
- Religion & Spirituality -- Bible & Other Sacred Texts -- General
- Religion & Spirituality -- Bible & Other Sacred Texts -- General AAS
- Religion & Spirituality -- Christianity -- Reference -- Old Testament -- Study
- Religion & Spirituality -- Christianity -- Reference -- General
- Religion & Spirituality -- Christianity -- Reference -- General AAS
- Religion & Spirituality -- General
- Religion & Spirituality -- General AAS
Buying This Book
We query many merchants so that you can instantly compare prices and availability. You can even check historic prices and subscribe for notifications. For a manual check, clicking on a link will open a new window with a search for this book on the merchant's site of your choice.
- Amazon.com by title or by ISBN - widest selection, reliable service, good prices
- Abebooks.com by title or by ISBN - good source for rare and out-of-print books
- Textbooks.com by title or by ISBN - large inventory of new & used textbooks
- Alibris.com by title or by ISBN - their slogan is "books you thought you'd never find"
- eCampus.com by title or by ISBN - they specialize in textbooks, used and new
- BN.com by title or by ISBN - Barnes & Noble has a wide selection of new and used books